The cost of drip irrigation set up is much more. In such situation if the drip stops working due to clogging or choke up then farmer has to face huge problem. Why this thing happens? Many peoples suggest how to remove the choke up from drip but no one guides about why this choke up takes place? From this chapter we are guiding you why this thing happens? So that you can prevent it.
What is choke up?
Inline drip has drippers inserted in it. These drippers have a special zig-zag design on them. Water passes through this zig-zag way and drips drop by drop through holes given on the dripper. If anything like algae, sand particles, debris entangle in this zig-zag path it disturbs water flow and water stops dripping through dripper. This is called as drip choke up.
Misunderstandings about drip choke up –
1) Drip choke up can be removed by tapping dripper. But in one acre area there are thousands of drippers and you cannot tap each dripper. So this procedure is worthless.
2) Many peoples suggest different ways to remove choke up. But you will get up to 99% result remember 100% choke up cannot be removed.
So the main point is that we have to prevent drip from choke up. For that we must know the reasons why drip choke up?
Reasons of drip choke up –
1) Every company manufacture drip at a particular pressure setting if we run drip below required pressure possibility of drip choke up increases.
2) Many times debris, sand particles enters in the drip line along with water this causes drip choke up. We must use filter for this purpose.
3) We must use appropriate filter so that it will help to prevent entry of debris in drip line.
4) Many times it is observed that farmers install filters but they don’t clean it as and when needed. You have to clean filter regularly.
5) If we do not fragment our larger area in to smaller blocks and use the cock system for drip the possibility of drip choke up increases due to drop in pressure.
6) We apply fertilizers through drip using ventury and fertilizer tank. It is usual practice that farmers do not use drip for some period after applying fertilizers. But if we do this the remains of fertilizers get accumulated in the drip line and possibility of drip choke up increases. So flush your drip after applying fertilizers.